Senior Business Analyst
We are looking for a game changer to join our evolving IT team and help shape the future of Workers' Compensation insurance. Our goal in IT is simple drive business outcomes by empowering our talented team members to do great things! We strive to work smart, collaboratively as a team, and with integrity.
The ideal team member will be passionate about learning > unlearning > and re–learning concepts to solve complex problems, thinks outside–the–box to seize new opportunities, challenges established norms, and most importantly aspires to exceed our customers' expectations. As a Senior Business Systems Analyst you will have experience working with a technology portfolio of SaaS, package and in–house developed applications to join the ICW Workers Compensation Claims IT team in our San Diego, CA Headquarters office.
If you have at least 7+ years as a Business Analyst, 3+ as a Systems Analyst and experience as a lead – that combination of technology breadth and workers compensation, Insurance, Health Care and\or medical industry knowledge – who has enjoys being the bridge between business and IT stakeholders please keep reading.
If you are a results–focused professional who:
- Is a hard charger with initiative and self–direction to get things done
- Puts the customer first, thinks outside the box, and recommends technical solutions to exceed the demand
- Is excited by and appreciates challenging customers to define needs, is a critical thinker who can connect the dots and apply problem solving methods to resolve challenges and is not afraid to present new solutions
- Is a true team player who can bring best practices and tools to thrive in an environment with strong–minded achiever types and leads by example
- Has an eye toward technical innovation and can help assemble a vision for the business unit's future
- A quick and eager learner, with a strong foundation with system analysis, testing, development, or project management
- Is passionate about learning > unlearning > and re–learning concepts to solve complex problems
- Someone who brings solutions rather than problems and seeks continuous improvement to bring out the best in himself/herself, others, and the team
- Humble, versatile, and consummate professional who can roll up sleeves and play any role needed for success
- Strong interpersonal skills who can recognize and adapt to different personality types and can tame a room full of executives, keeping the audience engaged, and drive toward goals
- Presents highly complex arguments, impactful information and ideas that stimulate intense interest and decisions
- Develops and oversees large scale IT change initiatives, creating a managed sense of urgency to bring about benefits
- Maintains visibly high levels of morale and remains upbeat about the future at all times demonstrating to others a firm belief and options for conquering obstacles and adversities
In this Role You will:
- Partner with business and technology to elicits requirements, actively listen, translate into technical specifications, capture risks and impacts, security impacts, negotiates agreements and improves transparency between business unit(s) and IT from initial requirements to final implementation
- Develop innovative approaches for using new tools, templates and processes to deliver better, explain the rationale for adoption and business value measures and invite intentional feedback and opinions from others
- Translate and convey business needs to senior technical engineers, DBAs, system admins and vendors, participating in solution design and lower level design
- Be the gold standard for a Sr Business Analyst across the IT organization sharing. collaborating and implementing best practices, tools and approaches; identify opportunities for creating reusable enterprise services
- With the IT program manager drive the Agile Epic intake process
- Find and implement improvements for the cost effective utilization of insurance systems
- Partner with business stakeholders to conduct user acceptance testing
- Provide business process and technical expertise to IT staff for the implementation of new systems/solutions, enhancements and maintenance of installed systems
- Analyzes, documents and tests logic, SQL queries, data, rules, process flows, systems, interfaces and specifications
- Documents user manuals to describe application installation, system interfaces, application architecture and operating procedures
- Uncover needs that business partner, IT stakeholders and end users would not be able to articulate on their own
- Leverage and Develop and drive adoption of new methodologies, elicitation tools, templates, and processes to support those methodologies
- Identify new opportunities to leverage data and to integrate data or applications to enhance business value.
- Proactively monitor industry, functional, and technology trends to guide business partners on emerging opportunities.
- Translate complex system engineering, object–oriented design, API and micro services as well as requirements for data use, analysis and quality.
- Bachelor's degree from four–year college or university (preferably B.S. in Information Technology or Engineering) or equivalent work experience
- 7+ years of relevant technical work experience
- 6+ years of relevant experience as Business Analyst
- Understanding of software development concepts, architecture, patterns, etc.
- Modeling Techniques: Object Orientation analysis, UML (e.g. Use Cases, Activity Diagrams)
- Ability to write non–functional software requirements and test specifications
- Previous formal lead/mentorship/supervisory duties
Preferred, not required:
- Insurance certification(s) for one or more domain–specific areas (AINS, AIC, ARM, etc.)
- Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO)
- Certified Business Analysis Thought Leader (CBATL)
- Data Modeling and Relational Database Design using ERwin
- Advanced Degree (MBA, Master's, etc.)
- Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP) or Certified Enterprise Business Analyst
- Business Architecture Certification
- Certified Business Analysis Thought Leader (CBATL)
- IT Service Management (ITIL)
- Process Optimization (BPM, Six Sigma, Lean)
- SQL Querying ability
- Agile methodologies and tools
- Insurance Claims experience or education
- Team lead or supervisory skills