Financial Accounting Advisory Services, Assistant / Senior (Valuation)
- Full time
Join Financial Accounting Advisory Services (Financial Services) within Assurance and you’ll assist our clients to address the accounting and financial reporting challenges facing their business. You’ll be part of a team that provides insight and services that accelerate analytics, decision-making and innovation to build a stronger and more efficient finance function.
With so many offerings, you have the opportunity to develop your career through a broad scope of engagements, mentoring and formal learning. That’s how we develop outstanding leaders who team to deliver on our promises to all of our stakeholders, and in so doing, play a critical role in building a better working world for our people, for our clients and for our communities. Sound interesting? Well this is just the beginning. Because whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime.
About the opportunity
Over the last 20 years, innovative new products have dramatically increased the complexity of the financial markets, from complex preference shares issuance in venture capital world, to structured products allowing clients to repackage and transfer risk, or other more exotic instruments designed to meet almost any goal two parties can agree on.
Within EY’s Financial Accounting Advisory Services (Financial Services) practice, the Financial Instruments Valuation team supports Assurance teams with independent valuation and quantitative analysis on various financial instruments. The services we provided within EY cover a broad spectrum of responsibilities faced with respect to financial instruments valuations. You will experience ongoing professional development through interactions with internal and external clients together with exposures to various asset classes (e.g. FX, Fixed Income, Equity, Commodity, Interest Rate, Credit, etc) and various industry sectors (e.g. banking, private equity, hedge funds, transportations, commodity, utilities, oil & gas, REITS, internet-based firms, etc).
The Financial Instruments Valuation team at EY uses sophisticated techniques from financial engineering to assist clients in understanding and valuing vanilla derivatives and other complex securities, for financial reporting, risk management and regulatory compliance purposes.
Your key responsibilities
As an Assistant/Senior in the Financial Instrument Valuation team, you will:
- Work together within a team for multiple client projects in daily independent valuation for diverse type of financial instruments
- Assist in developing valuation models to assess a variety of financial instruments adopting option pricing theory, fixed income and structured finance models, Monte Carlo simulation, statistical analysis, and other quantitative analysis
- Assist in performing model validation on credit models such as PD, LGD and EAD
- Provide assistance in review of fair valuation approach, methodology, and assumptions adopted by private equity and venture capitalist clients
- Challenge yourself to continually learn and teach, mentoring others while developing your own career through various exposures in client projects
- Take ownership of your projects, while collaboratively working with other team members
- Maintain and develop positive, productive, and professional relationships with clients
Skills and attributes for success
- Work effectively as a team member, sharing responsibility, providing support, maintaining communication and updating team members on progress
- Highly motivated, ability to multi-task, work independently under minimum supervision and deliver top-quality results in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrate integrity, values, principles, and work ethics within a professional environment
- Good project management skills
To qualify for the role you must have
- Bachelor's or master's degree in quantitative finance, financial engineering, finance, statistics, mathematical finance, or engineering with programming skills
- Fresh graduate or a minimum of 1 year of non-valuation related experience (e.g. engineering, consulting, corporate treasury functions and etc.) with demonstrated interest in quantitative finance will also be considered
- A good programming skill with demonstrated aptitude in quantitative analysis and understanding of at least one Finance or statistical software package (e.g. R or Spotfire), Bloomberg, Reuters, Numerix, MS Excel/VBA
The successful candidate must be able to display several achievements below:
Within 6 months of joining, the candidate should:
- Understand the mechanics and valuation methodology behind various derivatives financial instruments and perform valuation for such financial instruments
- Explain the valuation differences between clients and independent valuation through analyzing how various parameters drive the valuation output
- Perform credit risk assessment, focusing on quantitative analysis based on financial standing, for both listed and non-listed companies
- Understand the Hedge Accounting concept under Singapore Financial Reporting Standard (SFRS) framework and able to perform quantitative approach for the purpose of hedge effectiveness assessment
- Gain basic understanding on programming languages, typically VBA and Scilab, and apply it for Binomial Tree Model, Monte Carlo Simulation and other interest rate models implementation
- Work independently with minimum supervision and take ownership on the projects assigned.
- Within 1 year of joining, the candidate should:
- Confidently manage client and resolve issues typically encountered by client with regards to financial instruments valuation
- Understand the valuation approach behind various financial instruments in private equity and venture capitalist business, and perform valuation for such financial instruments
- Understand and able to implement the Expected Credit Loss (ECL) methodology under Singapore Financial Reporting Standard (SFRS) framework, focusing on credit modelling methodology assessment
- Explain to general non-technical audiences on how various financial instruments work and the benefit and risk behind various types of financial instruments
- Adaptive and committed in intense environment and tight deadlines in providing deliverables to stake holders
- Excellent time management and prioritize various projects allocate
- Able to work together within the team and actively provide guidance to junior staff in order to deliver high quality work products
What we look for
Highly motivated individuals with excellent analytical skills and the ability to prioritize shifting workloads in a rapidly changing industry. An effective communicator, you’ll be a confident team player that collaborates with people from various teams while looking to develop your career in a dynamic organization.
The successful candidate must also be committed to staying at the cutting edge of both the latest financial instruments valuation techniques, business developments and accounting standards. We're seeking leaders with the ability to quickly anticipate and respond to the issues of a networked and constantly changing global economy.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.