Dodge Nature Center and Preschool, a non–profit dedicated to providing quality environmental education programs on its 462–acre nature preserve in West St. Paul, Mendota Heights, and Cottage Grove. The Finance Director acts a key leader and member of the leadership team, this position has significant impact on the organization's ability to meet its financial and other goals. The person in this position is responsible for leading and managing financial management, information technology and compliance functions and properties. The person in this position also serves as the primary staff representative for the Finance, Investment, Audit and related Committees.
Position: Finance Director
Job Type: Full Time Exempt
Salary Information: $54,000–$70,000 plus competitive benefits
Reports to: Executive Director
Posting Date: October 9, 2019
Closing Date: October 30, 2019
- Prepare, analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the Executive Director, review all financial plans and budgets, monitor progress and changes and keep leadership team abreast of the organization's financial status.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the Finance Committee of the Board.
- Lead and oversee financial and business operations with functional responsibilities over accounting, general ledger, grant awards, accounts receivable, endowment, banking and capital assets.
- Manage cash flow and forecasting; manage and track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies.
- Maintain a proper system of internal controls to ensure the proper recording of financial activity and to protect organizational assets.
- Ensure all statutory obligations of the organization are met.
- Participate in ongoing strategic planning process as an integral member of the leadership team. Partner with the Executive Director on operational and strategic issues as they arise; provide recommendations to the Executive Director based on financial analysis and projections.
- Lead and oversee general insurance needs.
- Responsible for Human Resource administrative functions, including insurance enrollment, retirement plan enrollment, new employee reporting and payroll processing and maintenance, COBRA, worker's comp.
- Manage and plan organization's IT functions including network services and server operations, data backup and recovery, security, equipment maintenance and upgrades and software implementation and upgrades including database. Work closely with third–party vendors and consultants.
- Engage members of the senior leadership team to facilitate cross–functional collaboration that ensures that all Administrative and IT solutions positively support the organization's strategies, operations and data collection needs.
- In partnership with the leadership team, develop and maintain the organization's work environment and culture.
- Leadership, high level of confidentiality, ethical standards and conduct, strategic and forward–thinking, strong analytical abilities, problem solving, communication, time management, decision making, organizational skills and ability to work with others internally and externally.
- This is a full–time, exempt position. Primary hours will be between 8:00am and 4:30pm Monday through Friday but the person in this position must be available evenings and weekends as needed.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Finance, Accounting or related field (Masters' degree and/or licensure such as Certified Public Accountant preferred but not required.)
- Minimum of three or more years of progressively responsible experience in management of financial and administrative operations, preferably in a nonprofit setting with nonprofit finance. Experience with government grants and contracts preferred
- Strong financial management and accounting background with experience implementing internal financial policies and controls
- Ability to communicate and build effective working relationships with people at all levels
- Must clear background check
- Experience in MIP Fund Accounting preferred
- Must have excellent written and verbal skills
Submit cover letter specifying qualifications and resume to by October 30, 2019 or by mail–
Dodge Nature Center
Attn. Jason Sanders
365 Marie Ave. West
West St. Paul, MN 55118