You're a successful Controller, Assistant Controller or Accounting Manager with 10 years or less in Residential Real Estate, ideally with multifamily experience.
You're a CPA, entrepreneurial and you're looking for your next challenge. You're hands–on and you are passionate about being part of the next phase in a revolution that bridges real estate, hospitality and technology.
My client is a real estate and technology company that is transforming a major sector of the real estate market. In partnership with a globally recognized and major hospitality player, they've created a multi–family brand and a hospitality brand, bringing flexibility and freedom. The company also has a suite of integrated solutions specifically designed to manage multifamily and hospitality in a bespoke interface.
This position is located in their Miami office and will be responsible for all aspects of accounting for the Company's operations.
The successful candidate must be a self–starter capable of working independently and be comfortable in a dynamic and rapidly evolving startup environment.
The Controller will initially be responsible for performing most accounting–related tasks until such time as a business case can be made for hiring additional accounting staff.
The Controller will prepare and analyze monthly financial statements as well as build out the accounting infrastructure, including development of policies and procedures and implementation of a new accounting system.
- Establish controls and processes to produce quarterly individual brand and consolidated GAAP financial statements in accordance with the established deadlines.
- Guide financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Protect assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
- Oversee transition to new accounting system
- Monitor and confirm financial condition by thoroughly reviewing all financial transactions
- Manage relationships with external service providers including auditors and tax preparers.
- Maximize return, and limit risk, on cash.
- Establish an effective annual budgeting and forecasting process with continuous monitoring and re–forecasts on a quarterly basis. Preparation of detailed variance analysis and corresponding recommendations will be a key element of this process.
- Achieve budget objectives by scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
- Provide status of financial condition by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data.
- Assist in preparing required financials and associated narratives for the quarterly investor reports
- Prepare special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Comply with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing financial reports; advising management on needed actions.
- Effectively manage the outsourced income tax function to include all tax returns and tax payments. Ensure maintenance of tax workpapers supporting the outsourced returns.
- Effectively manage and train the accounting and reporting team, establishing goals and objectives with each team member.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related assignments as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting.
- At least 5 years of progressive accounting experience in the multifamily and/or hospitality industry.
- Previous supervisory responsibility preferred, but not required.
- Long hours sometimes required.
- A strong and proven work ethic with the ability to multitask and prioritize departmental functions and work independently to meet deadlines.
- CPA preferred
Qualified candidates will be contacted for a preliminary phone screen. Strong preference for local candidates.