Senior VAT Manager, Group Tax
12 month contract
The Finance & Accounting Division is made up of a number of core finance teams both at business unit and Group level. We perform a key management and control function in ensuring all Group financial and management reporting processes are appropriately governed. The Finance Division has overall responsibility for driving the Group budgeting and forecasting process, developing Group-focused financial insight and analysis and delivering the Group's statutory, regulatory and external reporting. We do this through collaborative business partnering in each of the Divisions and with centralised Finance shared / specialist services.
Description of business unit
Bank of Ireland Group Tax Department, part of the Finance Division, is the primary provider of tax advice to all Bank of Ireland Business Units and Divisions. We also manage and control all aspects of tax planning and tax reporting for the BOI Group. Our aim is to provide proactive professional advisory support to the business. The Group Tax team provides services to all BOI Group Divisions and is a team of16 people.
Purpose of the Role
Deliver optimum tax support, planning and advice from a VAT perspective to all divisions of BOI Group on all areas of business, including the development of tax strategy and implementation of Tax Policy within the Group.
- Manage the VAT team in relation to the provision of Irish and UK VAT compliance re all VAT/VIES/Intrastat returns due.
- Manage the ongoing relationship with all business units within the BOI Group, and provide ongoing VAT advice to all areas within the BOI Group, including GTAC, Group Ops & Payments, New Ireland, Private Banking Ltd, IBICF, Retail network, Procurement, Group Legal etc.
- Managing all major projects, e.g. capital raising, debt re-structuring etc.
- Liaising with our UK VAT manager and provision of advice re new products and contracts in UK market.
- Provide advice and sign off re all property transactions within the BOI Group.
- Sign off in relation to policy queries re provision of finance to BOI customers, and also re new products.
- Research and keep up to date with VAT legislation and case law (Irish, UK and EU).
- Manage and cultivate relationship with external stakeholders, i.e. Revenue, HMRC, BPFI/EBF, PwC/KPMG etc.
- Provision of VAT training within Group Tax/VAT team and Business Units as required.
What is the opportunity
The successful candidate with have to opportunity work on a variety of interesting and complex VAT assignments in a dynamic and progressive tax department. This role is part timefor ten month period.
- 10 years+ Experience of working in a large professional services firm, large corporate or tax authority dealing with VAT issues arising in financial services
- Professional accounting and/or tax qualification or an equivalent level of experience working for a tax authority
Essential Skills & Experience
- Excellent knowledge of VAT Legislation, and current Revenue practices in the area of Financial services is essential
- A detailed understanding of the interaction between Accounting Standards and Tax.
- Strong analytical ability with associated commercial acumen.
- Flexible approach to work in addition to willingness to take on work as required.
- Ability to manage a broad and varying portfolio of work simultaneously.
- Excellent communication skills - verbal and written.
- Strong management skills, matched with the credibility to influence and challenge at all levels.
- Role model for leadership behaviours particularly with regard to the highest professional standards.
- Bias for action/ drive for results and focus on execution excellence.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Excellent working relationship with Group Tax team andkey members of Group Finance.
- Professional working relationship with Large Cases Division of Revenue.
- Strong working relationship with Head of Group Tax
- Strong and challenging relationship with Bank's Tax Advisors.
- Manage Risk - Leader
- One Group, one team - Leader
- Agile - Leader
- Accountable - Leader
- Amplify Capability - Leader
Where Agency assistance is required Bank of Ireland Recruitment Team will engage directly with suppliers. Unsolicited CVs / profiles supplied to Bank of Ireland by Recruitment Agencies will not be accepted for this role.
Bank of Ireland Group is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to fostering an inclusive workplace which values and benefits from the diversity of our workforce.
Closing date: Jul 17, 2019
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.