Finance Manager (Two Positions)
Who we are
Part business, part charity, part membership body – students' unions are all seriously fun places to work. They are organisations in their own right. Professionally run, but different. Professional teams support elected student leaders to make change, improve lives and fulfil potential; we help make it happen.
We deliver charitable services and support for students at the London School of Economics and University of the Arts London. We employ around 35 permanent staff at each union, many hundreds of student staff and volunteers across our business. The Unions have two main sources of income – an annual grant from the University and income generated through trading services such as bars & coffees shops.
About the job
We are looking for a dynamic Finance Manager who will lead the operational finance function and also structure, create and maintain financial processes throughout the organisation. Managing a small team, we desire someone who has previous hands–on experience in a small/medium sized company or charity.
Being a people–focused organisation, we require someone who can complement managing a finance department, with coaching and developing non–finance staff to understand the importance and benefits of these processes, and how to use financial information to better manage their departments. This is an important part of the role.
The new Finance Manager who will join the senior leadership team will provide financial expertise to create a fit for purpose finance department and robust financial stewardship. Through your skills and abilities, we will be in possession of financial information and insight that can drive future developments and build on our achievements to date.
Who we are looking for?
- Possess a professional financial qualification and/or be qualified by experience
- Have significant hands–on experience running a finance department in a small/medium–sized organisation
- Have experience in a commercial or other organisation beyond a Students' Union environment.
- Be proactive in their approach and an advocate for sharing finance knowledge
- Be team orientated in approach and an ability to work with a diverse group of people including commercial staff, suppliers, and university finance teams
- Have a coaching/mentoring approach and the ability to provide support to both our student leaders and staff
- Have a proven track record in providing meaningful interpretation and analysis of financial information to inform business and performance decisions
To continue to diversify and include all groups in our organisation, we are keen to encourage :
- applications from black and minority ethnic applicants,
- applicants with private sector and/or commercial experience and
- applicants returning from a career break
We would consider supporting professional qualifications and part–time/flexible work for the right candidate.
Because you're excited by the challenge! The exact opposite of corporate, we're progressive, daring and creative individuals working to make a difference in unconventional workplaces.
Benefits and Perks
In return for your passion and experience we offer:
- 25 days holidays per year
- Additional closure periods at Christmas and Easter
- Free LSE Students' Union gym membership (for LSE staff)
- Cycle to Work scheme enabling significant savings on bicycle purchase
- Access to staff training courses
- Ability to purchase TOTUM (NUS) card giving wide range of discounts
- Flexibility for work–life balance
- Interest free Travel loan
How we recruit
We want to ensure all systems, policies and processes are free from bias or discrimination and are fair and accessible, therefore we ask that all candidates complete our Application Process in two stages:
Part 1 (Application Form) is all about you telling us about your suitability for the role and will be used to determine if you are shortlisted for interview.
Part 2 (Equal Opportunities Monitoring and Contact Form) is personal information – so we can contact you if you are shortlisted for the interview. It also helps us gather and analyse demographic information about our applicants. This part will only be seen by HR and will not have any impact on shortlisting.
Application forms are formatted to ensure the equality monitoring data is removed before applications are seen by the shortlisting panel. This process allows us to ensure that the shortlisting is done in a fair and consistent manner and all applicants are given the same opportunity to demonstrate their abilities.
Want to apply?
There are two opportunities available and you are welcome to apply for either or both roles.
To apply, please complete our online application which can be found on our website via the button below or
If you would like an informal conversation or more information about the organisation or the role please email CEO James Hann: or
Job application timeline
Closing date: 13 th June.
Intended Interview dates: 20 th June.