Financial Accountant, Global Markets Financial Control
The Finance & Accounting Division is made up of a number of core finance teams both at business unit and Group level. We perform a key management and control function in ensuring all Group financial and management reporting processes are appropriately governed. The Finance Division has overall responsibility for driving the Group budgeting and forecasting process, developing Group-focused financial insight and analysis and delivering the Group's statutory, regulatory and external reporting. We do this through collaborative business partnering in each of the Divisions and with centralised Finance shared / specialist services.
Description of business unit
The Markets & Treasury division is responsible for the management of the Group's balance sheet as well as providing a full suite of treasury products to the Group's customers. The Markets & Treasury Finance Team is responsible for the overall finance, accounting & reporting performance and practices across the Division. This involves working collaboratively with each of the Business Units to ensure the planning and oversight of effective monthly reporting, quarterly, interim and full year results.
Purpose of the Role
Markets & Treasury is the treasury arm of the Bank of Ireland Group with responsibility for all market risk in Foreign Exchange, Money Markets, Bonds and Derivatives and is responsible for the execution of the wholesale funding of Bank of Ireland's balance sheet.
An opportunity has arisen for a Financial Accountant to join the team. The person will be responsible for reporting and controlling of M&T's various products, including derivatives, loans and deposits, liquid assets, trading book assets and liabilities and debt securities in issue. The person will also be responsible for implementing process improvement initiatives and other ad hoc activities related to Financial Reporting for Markets & Treasury.
This is an exciting opportunity for a strong accountant, looking to develop their understanding of treasury products, as well as develop their core competencies of problem-solving, managing change, and stakeholder management.
- Ensure that monthly close processes have been completed in accordance with best practice.
- Prepare notes to the financial statements and FINREP and present to management as required
- Responsible for the delivery of MI as produced by the team (e.g. monthly analytical review and commentaries), ensuring deliverables are complete and accurate.
- Liaise with the Valuations, Hedge Accounting, Income Support and Decision Support teams in the M&T finance team, to ensure the correct measurement and classification of items in the primary statements, notes to the accounts, and FINREP.
- Provide support to other financial control teams, when required, on the accounting and reporting of derivatives
- Control Environment: adhere to operational risk controls, including Internal Financial Controls and EUCs; liaise with external and internal auditors; identify any control weaknesses and highlight to management
- Ad hoc: contribute to ad hoc projects as they arise e.g. implementation of IFRS 9, EBA Stress Testing; be pro-active in identifying and implementing potential improvements in areas such as operational risk controls, processes, MI reporting etc.; build relationships with key stakeholders across the Group and become a key point of contact on the Financial Control Team
What is the opportunity
The role will expose the successful candidate to detailed balance sheet and income statement analysis of a leading Irish treasury function. The successful candidate will gain knowledge of products such as bonds, derivatives, FX products and corporate deposits.
Qualified or part qualified accountant with strong academic ability
Essential Skills & Experience
- An understanding of the Markets & Treasury business (or equivalent treasury business) and the products it trades.
- Demonstrated experience of delivery to tight reporting deadlines with a keen attention to detail
- A commitment to delivering consistently excellent customer service
- The ability to challenge the status quo and implement change
- Confident, enthusiastic self-starter with the ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Excel
Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- A keen interest in treasury functions
- Prior experience of working in a treasury function
- Ability to acquire and apply new technical information.
- A knowledge of Visual Basic / macros
- One Group, one team - 1. Self
- Agile - 1. Self
- Accountable - 1. Self
- Manage Risk - 1. Self
- Amplify Capability - 1. Self
Where Agency assistance is required Bank of Ireland Recruitment Team will engage directly with suppliers. Unsolicited CVs / profiles supplied to Bank of Ireland by Recruitment Agencies will not be accepted for this role.
Bank of Ireland Group is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to fostering an inclusive workplace which values and benefits from the diversity of our workforce.
Closing date: May 28, 2019
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.