Finance Director of Development
We're looking for an exceptional Finance Director to come and support our expanding development team at this exciting time.
Clarion Housing Group is the country's largest housing association with 125,000 homes nationwide. First and foremost, at our heart, we're a social landlord – we mix public and private money to provide affordable homes, overwhelmingly for people who can't meet their housing needs on the open market.
We're also a property development company, a charitable foundation and a repairs and maintenance service, with an ambitious target to build 50,000 new homes over 10 years. We want to be an employer of choice too and believe that the key to our success is our people.
About the role
Following a recent internal promotion, we're looking for an inspirational Director to lead our Development Finance team. Drawing on your significant experience in leading Finance in a large diverse organisation you'll sit as a member of the CFO's Management Team. You'll provide high level advice and strategic guidance to Group Boards and the Investment Committee on all matters relating to Development. You will also be the critical business partner for the Group Director of Development providing both support and challenge in the development and delivery of the group's ambitions.
Some of the key duties include:
- Responsible for investment appraisal, monitoring and reporting of all development activity (annual expenditure in excess of GBP500m per annum) including the use of different entities for delivery and risk management purposes.
- Leading the provision of excellent, timely and sophisticated services to the Group covering investment appraisal and reporting, working collaboratively with the business and having due regard to the external environment, risk, funding requirements and the objectives of the Group including the maintenance of financially robust foundations.
- Responsible (with Development colleagues) for ensuring the robust appraisal of joint venture opportunities and ensuring active management and participation in joint venture relationships.
- A key contributor to the long–term financial plan ensuring the maintenance of a viable and sustainable business over the long term able to meet its ambitious development plans within agreed financial golden rules.
- Ensure development plans and forecasts are suitably stress tested and mitigating actions developed supported by regular reporting of trends and early warning indicators.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues on cross functional activities such as regeneration, disposal strategies and commercial activities.
- Develop and implement a sustainable framework for investment appraisal which has due regard to transparency, risk, all aspects of financial impact, fundability, and the impact on the business profile and business value. Ensure compliance in implementation.
- Leading a team of 15 staff ensuring high levels of service in the delivery of investment appraisal and monitoring, development reporting, financial and risk modelling and longer term strategic planning.
Ideally you'll come from a residential property background and to be successful in this role you'll be a CCAB qualified accountant (or equivalent) with a strong track record including the production of complex and sophisticated financial plans. You'll have experience of the operation of investment appraisal frameworks to deliver economically coherent outcomes.
You'll have a deep understanding and experience of the technical, risk and commercial issues and implications arising from managing investment appraisal and delivery in a complex business.
In addition to this you'll have a clear understanding of the role of joint ventures and the documentation requirements to ensure they are established on a fair and effective basis.
With a proven ability to build and manage high performing teams, you'll provide an outstanding level of customer service with the credibility and track record to gain the trust and respect of senior executive and non–executive colleagues. You'll be comfortable working at a detailed 'numbers' level but also able to operate on a long term strategic basis.
Closing Date: Friday 3rd May 2019 at Midday
This is a fantastic opportunity to utilise your extensive skills and experience to really make a difference.
If you're an inspirational and hands on Finance Director with a background in property we look forward to hearing from you.
For further details on this vacancy, and to apply, please download the role profile and click the 'Apply' button below.
Applicants must be able to travel across regions as required.
Clarion Housing Group is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce.