Business Analyst / Product Owner
Job Description:Everest Insurance Company, a member of Everest Re Group, Ltd., is seeking a Business Analyst/Product Owner for our Technology Services department at Liberty Corner, New Jersey.
The Business Analyst/Product Owner in Everest Technology Services is the primary liaison between the business stakeholders, technology teams and vendors. As such, the Business Analyst leverages their listening and interviewing skills, along with domain and practice knowledge to understand their business partner's needs and system issues, and to recommend creative and viable solutions. The Business Analyst/Product Owner translates these business solutions into comprehensive and clear specifications utilizing templates and tools consistent with the development methodology being employed.
The Business Analyst/Product Owner participates in all phases of the software development life cycle, able to collaborate with other BA, technical and quality assurance peers to assure successful solution delivery. Projects range from minor enhancements to large scale system implementations, and responsibilities include production support on assigned systems. The Business Analyst is the advocate for the business departments, and may function as the Product Owner within the context of Agile Methodology.
The Business Analyst/Product Owner supports the growth of our team through sharing their domain and practice knowledge with peers. In some instances, the Business Analyst may mentor more junior Business Analysts and even lead other BA's on larger projects.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Act as a liaison between the client area, technical organization, and other affected areas in planning, directing and conducting the analysis of complex business problems.
• Develop project proposals and estimates that reflect understanding of business needs and relevant technology solutions
• Employ the proper elicitation technique to ensure requirements are appropriately and efficiently identified, analyzed and documented using industry standard analysis techniques.
• Suggest creative technical and/or process solutions to identified business needs
• Develop detailed business and functional requirements, using templates and tools consistent with the methodology being employed
• Collaborate with project team to ensure cohesive delivery and traceability of documentation. Provide input into project plans, cost and/or resource estimating activities.
• Provide support for user acceptance testing and test defect resolution
• Serve as a subject matter expert for assigned business domains and systems
• Manage process to evaluate and select new vendor products
• The Business Analyst may often have responsibility for the configuration and maintenance of reference tables, vendor applications, or reporting and dashboard tools
• Document and distribute user facing release notes/communications
• Provide ongoing production support, including responding to user issues, collaborating with the technical team to analyze and resolve reported system issues and communicating the resolution of issues to the business community
• Supports ETS department with necessary product knowledge, presentations and technical expertise
• Manage (where appropriate) and provide leadership to more junior Business Analysts
• Conforms to Company standards and practices to comply with Internal Audit and SOX controls
As Product Owner, additional responsibilities may include:
• Accountable for the delivery of value to customers and stakeholders by ensuring that the right product is defined, prioritized, and built.
• Writes User Stories and Acceptance Criteria based on stakeholder and Scrum team input.
• Creates detailed user requirement and functional requirement documents and engages with stakeholders to get their sign–off on specifications before introducing them for scrum team development.
• Proactively manages and prioritizes the product backlog, release plans, and sprint backlogs according to business value, complexity, and expectations. Convey business needs to the Scrum team.
• Provides business leadership for the Scrum team by understanding and executing the product goals and vision.
• Collaborates with the Scrum team to prioritize, plan, and release working product increments.
Work Experience & Qualifications
• Bachelor's degree required
• 7–10 years of Business Analyst experience
• 3+ years of relevant experience required, with industry specific qualification highly preferred, e.g. CPCU, CBAP or Are, SHRM
• Experience working with the entire Software Development Life Cycle, whether Agile or Waterfall
• Strong ability to perform and document analysis of complex business, workflow, and technology issues to support decision–making
• Critical thinking and ability to translate business needs into technology solutions
• Effective at presenting and facilitating a variety of formal and informal meetings: one–on–one, small and large groups
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong interpersonal/relationship management skills
• Excellent conflict resolution and negotiation skills
• IIBA/Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP) desired
• Strong SQL skills to query SQL databases to perform data analysis
• Strong Understanding of XML language
• Experience in backend Integration particularly around web API development
• Experience in Use Cases and Process Flow Diagrams
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, Visio, and Microsoft Project
Everest is committed to recruiting and retaining the most talented individuals in the industry. We offer a dynamic work environment and a competitive compensation and benefit package which includes a 401k plan, retirement/savings option, tuition reimbursement, medical, dental, vision, life and group legal plans.
Everest is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion or creed, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, genetics, physical or mental disability, age, marital status, civil union status, family or parental status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
All considered applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. with unexpired, acceptable employment eligibility verification documentation.