The Assistant Accountant is responsible for ensuring that the financial accounts of the company are properly maintained and correctly reported in accordance with agreed deadlines. Sitting within the Accounting team; part of the Finance department based in the Basingstoke office.
Our Financial Services client, based in Basingstoke helps companies expand their business capabilities by offering financial services. Their expert teams partner with equipment vendors that are looking to grow their sales, and businesses that require outsourcing services for assets within a number of key markets
Assistant Accountant Key Responsibilities;
- Adhering to the monthly closing checklist, ensuring prompt and correct booking of closing journals and obtaining suitable evidence and authorisation.
- Maintaining a proactive dialogue with Accounting Manager throughout the monthly close to manage expectations and escalate any delays or issues.
- Preparing monthly trial balances for incorporation into Group reporting, including presentation of results and balance sheet extracts for management review.
- Preparing financial control reconciliations, including aging, provision analysis and timely resolution of reconciling items in conjunction with the account owner.
- Recording and reviewing the status of the financial control reconciliations, reporting and escalating any unresolved differences in a timely manner and being aware of the control environment and risks within this.
- Developing a commercial understanding of accounting balances and continuously developing accounting processes and reconciliations in response to changes in business processes or available information.
- Assisting more junior team members with accounting processes, reconciliations and group reporting.
The successful Assistant Accountant;
- Studying towards professional qualifications (ACCA, CIMA)
- Strong Excel skills are essential, along with excellent interpersonal/communication skills and attention to detail
- Pro-active and independent with an analytical approach
- Work experience as an Accounts Assistant, including experience of working to deadlines
- Oracle/SAP experience is also desirable.
What is on offer for the Assistant Accountant;
- Have regular performance reviews with my line manager; this will include a mid-term and end of probationary review and regular one to one catch ups.
- Study support for CIMA/ACCA/AAT is provided