The Honorary Treasurer is appointed by the Management Committee.
The Treasurer will provide strategic support and assist to monitor the financial matters of the organisation and report to the Board of Directors at agreed intervals about the financial health of the organisation.
The duties are set out below.
You will be expected to attend four Board meetings a year (normally two physical meetings), including the COBCOE AGM each year.
In addition, you will be expected to attend meetings from time to time as agreed with the Chief Executive, the Chairman of the Board the subcontracted book-keeper and management accountants if required. Most meetings take place in London.
This is a voluntary position and we would expect a UK based resident only.
Reasonable travel and subsistence expenses will be paid.
Specific responsibilities of the Honorary Treasurer:
- Advising on the financial implications of the organisation’s strategic plans;
- Ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place;
- Keeping the board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities;
- Monitoring the organisation’s investment activity and ensuring its consistency with the organisation’s policies and legal responsibilities;
- Assisting the Chief Executive with prudent management of resources to maximise income;
- Overseeing the preparation of the annual budget and presenting this to the Board
- Monitoring the regular financial statements and reports to ensure that they demonstrate a clear and true reflection of the company’s financial position;
- Considering and ensuring that the financial resources of the organisation meet its present and future needs;
- Ensuring that the accounts are prepared and disclosed in the form required by funders and the relevant statutory bodies, ensuring that these are reported and audited in the manner agreed and required, and any recommendations of the auditors implemented;
- Making a formal presentation of the accounts and financial reports at the annual general meeting and drawing attention to important points in a coherent and easily understandable way;
We are looking for a Treasurer who possesses the following qualities:
- a commitment to the mission of COBCOE;
- a willingness to devote the necessary time and effort (as outlined above);
- an ability to operate at a strategic level;
- good, independent judgement;
- an understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of a company limited by guarantee;
- fully qualified chartered accountant;
- an understanding of financial and accounting issues facing the Voluntary Sector;
- the skill to analyse proposals and examine their financial consequences;
- a willingness to be available to the Chief Executive for advice and answering enquiries on an ad hoc basis.
To apply, submit your CV and a covering letter (maximum two sides of A4) describing your suitability for the role by clicking the apply button below.
Candidates will be offered the opportunity for an informal discussion with the Chief Executive and interviews with the Chairman of COBCOE and Chief Executive will take place as agreed with shortlisted candidates.