Finance Manager – Dorking – Permanent – Up to GBP55,000 + Performance Bonus
- We are Unum (pronounced you–num) and we're one of the UK's leading financial protection insurers; that means we sell Income Protection, Critical Illness cover and Life Insurance. You may not have heard of us before, so you probably don't know that we've been around for over forty years and insure more people under our Income Protection products than Aviva, Legal and General, or Canada Life – companies you're more likely to have heard of. We are working towards becoming the Employee Benefits provider of choice for working Britain.
The role includes: (i) the provision of reports, analysis and commentary against monthly, quarterly and annual performance; (ii) creating and maintaining an appropriate financial control framework; (iii) support for tax reporting and compliance and any ad–hoc tax projects and queries (iv) support for the plan process and provision of other annual and ad hoc reports to ensure actual performance remains aligned with broader business strategy. The position involves significant interaction with executives and senior management across all divisions of the company, internal and external tax experts as well as other departments within Finance.
- Ledger maintenance: Plan, manage & control the team's monthly, quarterly and annual timetable to ensure that the general ledger is updated accurately and on a timely basis at all times, for all UK entities under all accounting bases. Liaise with the Head of Finance Systems to ensure Essbase and Hyperion mappings are proactively managed for all reporting on all bases.
- Periodic close and Reconciliation: Plan, manage & control the monthly financial Statement close process, including the overseeing of the production of key reconciliations for both income statement and balance sheet, ensuring reconciling items are investigated and cleared on a timely basis.
- Provision of accurate data and analysis to tax centres of excellence and answering queries. Support for any tax projects or ad–hoc queries from the business.
- Expectations Management: Ensure Senior Management and Exec team are informed at all times of progress against timetable, about potential issues, and proactively manage output delivery in conjunction with internal & external audit teams, Compliance and Company Secretarial team.
- Report and analysis: Provide review and control of key reports and analysis to the Financial Reporting stakeholders on all accounting bases, as well as understanding and reconciling between bases.
- Financial Statements & regulatory deliverables: Plan, manage and control the production of the financial statements, reporting accounts and external returns for each Unum entity on a periodic basis to timetable.
- Development: Plan, manage & control the team's resource issues, training and development needs, including your own. Ensure appropriate training & coaching plans are in place. Provide the team with strong leadership.
- Process Review: Review all processes on a periodic basis to ensure maximum understanding and efficiencies. Challenge processes and look for continuous improvement in our processes and procedures.
- Control: Provide direction and initiative to ensure key controls (Sarbanes–Oxley) and internal/external audit requirements are maintained and developed, including relationship management with the relevant parties.
- Business engagement: maintain a dialogue with managers and others across the business including US Corporate Finance to ensure strong engagement on planning, forecasting and performance issues
- Value adding analysis: Develop analysis in response to business performance issues and support UL/US information requests – for planning/forecasting information and analysis (e.g. roll–forwards).
- Team supervision: provide leadership, guidance and supervision to team staff – develop staff and provide clear and direct performance management.
- Wider contribution: contribute to the overall goals of the Finance Division through active participation in team and departmental meetings, and support internal initiatives.
- Data protection under GDPR: Ensure the continued protection of Unum's information, by following all applicable Information Security policies and procedures and by reporting suspected weaknesses in information security controls to the Information Security Officer.
- Conduct Risk: Embed and contribute to the Conduct Risk Framework, wider Solvency II systems of governance principles, Treating Customers Fairly requirements and the Risk Management Framework as it applies to the role and divisional activities and drive improvements as required.
- Company Policy: Comply with Unum's Code of Conduct and other Company Policies and Procedures as appropriate to the role and drive the behaviours of others.
- Delivers Results
Sets high goals for self and team; ensures day to day activities of others are aligned to achieve team and area goals; uses effective measurements to monitor progress against those goals; holds individuals accountable for results.
- Builds Talent
Takes bold action to ensure strong, diverse talent and leadership pipeline in place to meet our aggressive business goals. Develops, coaches and engages people to higher levels of performance.
- Makes Effective Decisions
Applies critical thinking to make good fact–based decisions with a sense of urgency after assessing potential business implications holistically; shows good judgment in options selected.
- Strong Business Acumen
Applies broad business understanding of internal and external trends and financial considerations to leverage business process and technology opportunities, meet evolving customer needs, and ensure successful implementation of unit/area plans.
- Engages Employees in Implementing the Vision
Inspires individuals toward higher levels of performance; fosters commitment to organization's mission; ensures that others understand their role in achieving area and business priorities.
- Values Driven
Interacts with others, internally and externally, in a way that gives them confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization; operates with highest integrity/ethics; demonstrates strong support of our communities.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Actively manage change in an increasingly moving regulatory and reporting environment.
- Plan and manage process simplification and re–engineering.
- Strong communication and presentation skills (written and verbal) is important to ensure that all interested parties are kept up to date with tax issues and technical change.
- Manage & maintain relationships with the US in terms of investment, reporting, tax and technical guidance.
- Effective stakeholder management and engagement
- The role holder will be expected to support their manager and colleagues and deputise in their absence.
- Appropriate technical updates for financial reporting and regulatory changes.
- On–going development of Leadership skills.
- Reporting & Tax updates on all bases including liaison with company auditors and US Technical Finance to ensure any changes to approaches are agreed
Minimum entry criteria:
- Qualified accountant with substantial PQE (ideally ACA, ACCA).
- Ideally professional tax qualification
- Ideally Tax and Financial Services experience, Insurance & US GAAP useful.
- Experience of managing small teams (preferable)
This is a great opportunity to work for a UK subsidiary of a global organisation, we look after our employees, offer a great work–life balance, generous benefits, a professional challenge and fantastic career opportunities.