Lead Audit specialist w investments (Insurance background) 04508
They don't want someone who is all compliance related. This role involves operational and financial auditing and requires the candidate to be able to evaluate a process and determine whether controls are effectively designed, which is more than just determining if they are complying with a regulation.
Internal Audit's mission is to provide independent and objective assurance and advisory services guided by a philosophy of adding value to improve the operations of Guardian, its subsidiaries, and affiliated entities. Internal Audit assists the company in accomplishing its objectives by bringing a systematic and disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of governance, risk management, and internal control, while furthering staff development and providing career growth opportunities.
Under the direction of an Audit Management staff member, this position functions as a working audit project manager, fully responsible for planning, executing, communicating issues and progress, and reporting audit results, individually and, on occasion, within a team. This job is predominately focused on performing high quality, value–add, assurance services that identify, evaluate and report on complex business risks and controls in accordance with the Institute of Internal Auditors Standards and established methodologies. This position contributes to the enterprise risk management framework through effective planning, executing and reporting on audit projects, through which the individual will identify meaningful issues about the design and effectiveness of controls, and make recommendations to improve the control environment.
- Lead and execute moderately complex assurance projects in accordance with established methodologies and professional standards. This includes:
- developing an understanding of management's business objectives and processes.
- using data analysis skills.
- using well developed data collection skills to acquire an understanding of the process, risks, and controls.
- creating flowcharts and process maps to analyze and evaluate the effectiveness of management's control design in addressing associated risks and identifying control gaps or potential improvements.
- under limited supervision, preparing planning memos, including fraud as a consideration, to set audit scope and objectives.
- under limited supervision, formulating and executing audit procedures that test key controls.
- under limited supervision, preparing communications covering issues and progress.
- lead project related meetings and discussions.
- obtaining management input on solutions.
- under limited supervision, writing value–added audit conclusions, presenting findings to both Internal Audit and business management, to proactively manage risk.
- preparing clear, concise, high quality audit reports and other audit documents that comply with the department's methodology, and communicate relevant issues and effective, value–added recommendations.
- managing work so that projects are completed on time and within budget.
- Demonstrate influencing skills when communicating with business areas and other risk assurance providers aimed to continually improve relationships and enable management to proactively manage risk.
- Work with other members of the audit team to leverage their skill sets, experience and expertise; provide same.
- Monitor all outstanding recommendations and action plans for assigned audits; prepare status commentary and perform follow–up testing as needed.
- Provide governance, compliance, investigation, and enterprise risk assessment support, if requested.
- Assist the external auditors and the financial controls team through coordinating and executing direct assistance testing for select assignments.
- Work with Internal Audit leadership to identify and continuously improve departmental practices.
- Monitor and demonstrate compliance with departmental policies and practices, as evidenced by strong quality assurance results, and strong performance within standards and related metrics.
- Stay abreast of current issues and obtain continuing education and training.
- Participate in special projects and perform other duties as requested.
- Interact with all levels of management to provide effective risk and control advice, maintaining active communication with clients to enhance risk and control awareness and manage expectations.
- This position reports to the Assistant Vice President, Audit who reports to the Senior Vice President, Chief Audit Executive.
- Minimum of 6 years of experience in internal audit, external audit or related functions.
- Experience auditing investments, derivatives, investment advisers, mutual funds, broker dealers and related compliance is required.
- Knowledge of SEC and FINRA rules and regulations.
- Ability to multi–task and work with minimal supervision.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, with the ability to write clearly and concisely.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to build strong relationships and clearly articulate thoughts and ideas.
- Ability to work independently, as well as in teams.
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to effectively analyze a process and assess risks and controls.
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to manage concurrent projects and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of risk assessment tools and methodologies.
- Adaptable to changing priorities.
- Ability to collaborate with others, both inside and outside of the department, while working toward common goals and fostering understanding and agreement.
- Develop strong relationships within business areas.
- Bachelor's degree required (accounting or business degree is a plus).
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) accreditation attained or in progress.
- Additional professional accreditations (CPA, CFE, CISA, etc.), licenses, or designations is a strong plus.
- Travel: less than 10%