Legal Accounts Manager / Legal Accountant / Legal Cashier / Book-keepe
We are looking to recruit a finance professional to head the finance team, reporting to the partners of this small law firm. This role would suit a part–qualified accountant, or experienced legal cashier or book–keeper, who is capable of producing monthly management accounts and higher–level reports. We anticipate this role is just under full–time – but we are open to discussion in terms of work pattern!
We are a very friendly central London law firm, close to Chanvery Lane. There are three friendly partners and around ten fee–earners (solicitors and paralegals). The firm only practices in litigation and does no transactional property work. Some of this is funded by Legal Aid, so experience of handling legally aided billing and accounting is quite important.
We are flexible in terms of work pattern, but we anticipate a minimum of three days in the office. Salary shall be dependent on experience.
Detailed description of post including skills and experience required.
- Client and office transaction postings
- Daily account reconciliations
- Production of monthly account reconciliations and reports
- Production of monthly management accounts
- Assisting with fee–earner accounts queries
- Distribution & posting of petty cash
- Administration of all expense claims and posting to the correct ledgers
- Purchase ledger duties including coding & posting of invoices
- Supplier statement reconciliations
- Supplier payments using the firm's online banking system
- Managing credit control by assisting with debt recovery & improve aged balances
- Day to day office banking, including the raising and paying in of cheques and the allocation of funds received by electronic bank transfer
- Managing supplier and client accounts queries
- Production of Solicitors Accounts Rules monthly reconciliation reports
- Action payroll
- Production of monthly fee–earner performance reports
- VAT returns
- Production of financial reports as reasonably requested by management
- Ensuring compliance, at all times, with the Solicitors Accounts Rules
- Liaising with the bank on account queries – deposits, cheque queries and transfers
- Inputting of all office account bills, checking accuracy of bills and that they are paid in accordance with the 14days rule
- Assisting with file closure procedures and ensuring ledgers are zeroed before file closure
- Updating the partners daily by way of email reports of cash flow position
- To ensure that new matters are recorded correctly.
- To support the operation of the departments credit control system.
- In–depth knowledge of the Solicitors Accounts Rules, Anti–Money Laundering Regulations and HMRC procedures
- At least 3 years' book–keeping experience, gained within a law firm
- Strong IT skills and advanced knowledge of Excel in particular
- Outstanding attention to detail and a 'can do' attitude
- Experience of preparing meaningful financial reports with a high degree of accuracy
- Self motivated and able to organise own work with minimum supervision.
- Copes effectively in demanding circumstances.
- Good time management, adopting a flexible approach to work.
- Demonstrates persistence and commitment to completing tasks and objectives.
- Delivers work output to the required standard.
- Pays attention to detail and quality of work.
- Demonstrates a commitment to improving working practices and supports company plans and policies.
Working with People
- Ability to build and maintain working relationships with others and is seen as 'approachable'.
- Operates effectively as part of a team.
- Able to identify a problem arising and can develop a solution or take the correct course of action.
- Knows when to seek guidance or further input from a Partner before taking action.
- Checks that information is accurate and complete.
- Looks for new solutions to problems as well as tried and tested methods.
- Able to express oneself both orally and in writing in a clear and constructive way.
- Willing to ask questions, listen to others views and accept advice.
- Willing to contribute ideas and seek improvements.
- Good client / supplier handling skills both by telephone and face to face.